Accessibility to the country of Romania

It is possible that if you have a handicap, you will experience limited accessibility in certain areas of Romania.

The accessibility of public transportation and buildings has improved:

mostly in Bucharest and other major cities, particularly at international airports and huge hotels
Permit to operate a motor vehicle

Driving in Romania necessitates the acquisition of two licences:

an International Driving Permit in addition to your present Australian driver’s licence (IDP)

Driving without an IDP may result in the cancellation of your travel and auto insurance policies.

If you intend to stay in Romania for more than 185 days, you may be eligible to apply for a Romanian driver’s licence. This should be done through the General Directorate for Driving Licences and Automobile Registration (GDDL).

Traveling by road

The majority of major city roadways and inter-city motorways are in relatively decent shape.

The majority of other roads are in poor condition, are poorly illuminated, and are narrow.

The following are other driving dangers:

inadequate driving standards, cattle and horse-drawn carts roaming about on the roadways

If you want roadside assistance in an emergency, dial 9271.

Rules of the road

Before you get behind the wheel, familiarise yourself with the Romanian traffic regulations. Keep in mind that:

The minimum legal driving age is 18 years old.
Children under the age of 12 are not permitted to ride in the front seat of a car. Driving with a blood alcohol content more than 0.0 percent is also prohibited.

If you drink and drive, you run the risk of:

You might lose your licence and face penalties.
you might face a jail term of up to five years

If you are involved in an accident, you will be required to submit to a breathalyser test. A felony is committed if you refuse to take this exam.

Traffic regulations are vigorously enforced by the police. In addition to radar speed checks, they undertake periodic inspections. If you are detected, you may lose your driving privileges and be required to pay a fine.

To travel on national roads, you must have a road toll sticker (Rovinieta). Purchase one online, or get one up at gas stations and border crossings. Driving without a sticker may result in a monetary penalty.

Weather conditions are currently in effect.

When the roads are slick or coated with ice and snow, driving may be extremely dangerous.

On snow-covered highways, winter tyres are a legal requirement. The months of November through March are the ones when roads are most frequently snow-covered.

In the event of severe weather conditions:

When driving, apply tyre chains and keep an eye out for weather alerts on Vehicle insurance

If you want to rent a car or another vehicle, check with your travel insurance provider to see if your policy covers you.

Inquire as to whether any limitations apply. It’s possible that your insurance will only be valid if you have an Australian driving licence for that particular car type.


Inquire with your travel insurance provider about whether your coverage protects you if you ride a motorcycle, quad bike, or other comparable vehicle.

Always be sure you wear a helmet.


Taxis that have been authorised are typically safe and dependable.

At airports, you may find them in a line outside the arrivals terminal, near the baggage claim area.

These are the vehicles:

show taxi registration, licence, and tariff information on both sides of the vehicle have an airport sign on both sides of the vehicle

To avoid overcharging and other issues, follow these steps:

Only authorised taxis should be used.
Avoid taking advantage of taxi service offers from touts at airports, train stations, and other public locations.
Traveling by air is a popular option.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) does not offer information on the safety of specific commercial airlines or flight patterns.

The Aviation Safety Network has a profile on Romania’s air safety, which you may view here.