Unexploded landmines

Unexploded landmines and war remnants are a major issue in parts of Croatia. Clearance activities are still in progress.

When visiting previous combat zones, stay on recognised safe roads and in known safe regions.

Before you travel, check with the Ministry of Interior’s Civil Protection Directorate (Croatian) for information on known and suspected mining locations.

Permit to Drive

You’ll need both to drive a car:

a valid foreign driving permit and a current Australian driver’s licence (IDP)

Driving without an IDP may result in the cancellation of your trip and car insurance.

If you want to stay in Croatia for more than a year, you must exchange your Australian driver’s licence for a Croatian one within 12 months of arriving. This may be done at the local police station.

Traveling by car

Driving is dangerous, and traffic accidents are regular.

Severe weather may make roadways icy and hazardous in the winter.

Many rural roads are small and devoid of guardrails.

Drivers that are aggressive may overtake when it is not safe to do so.

You must, according to local traffic laws,:

Always use headlights from the last weekend in October to the last weekend in March; use headlights in fog and rain; and install winter tyres on motor vehicles between the 15th of November and the 15th of April.

It is against the law to use a cell phone while driving.

Motor vehicles are required by local road laws to wear a fluorescent vest. While attending to a breakdown, you must wear this vest.

Even if there are no third parties involved, police may punish drivers and cyclists engaged in accidents.

For further information, visit:


Check with your travel insurance provider to see if riding a motorbike, quad bike, or other comparable vehicle is covered under your coverage.

Wear a helmet at all times.


Use only registered taxis and licenced automobile services.

Avoid hailing cabs on the street.

Public transportation

Throughout Croatia, bus and rail services are available.

Take precautions with your possessions when using public transportation, as small crime does occur.

Traveling by sea

On party boats, there have been several accidents and significant injuries.

Before taking a ferry or other maritime vessel, be sure sufficient safety equipment is on board.

Some Australian boating licences granted by state administrations are recognised by the Croatian Ministry of the Sea, Transport, and Infrastructure. You should consult with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs before travelling to Croatia.

All skippers must have an International Certificate of Competence (ICC) or a valid Australian boating permit.

Traveling by plane

The Department of Foreign Affairs does not offer information on the safety of specific commercial airlines or flight patterns.

The Aviation Safety Network has a profile on Croatia’s air safety.

Rock climbing or trekking

It is very unusual for visitors to become stranded in the Croatian highlands due to a lack of preparation.

If you want to hike or rock climb:

  • Never do anything alone, and always employ a reliable company’s professional guide.
  • Purchase travel insurance that covers helicopter rescue and medical evacuation.
  • ensure that your physical condition is sufficient to fulfil the demands of your activity ensure that you are appropriately prepared and
  • educated about weather and other situations that may pose a threat
  • Before venturing out, gather precise information about hiking routes and avoid venturing off defined paths.

The Croatian Mountain Rescue Service provides important information about treks and rock climbing in Croatia.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here