A driver’s licence

There are two things you need to learn how to drive in Trinidad and Tobago. The person must have a valid Australian driver’s licence to drive.
an international driving permit that is valid (IDP)

There are rules for leaving Australia. You must get your IDP before you leave.

Take the road to Trinidad and Tobago.

People in Trinidad and Tobago are three times more likely to die when they get into an accident with a car than in Australia.

Among the risks are:

poorly kept roads
local driving habits and traffic congestion

Accidents that happen at high speeds, especially on the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway, often kill people.

Conditions on rural and mountain roads are very dangerous.

The road from Port of Spain to the popular Maracas beach area is very dangerous, and it can be hard to get there. Road users often drive in a risky way. also:

narrow and windy

At Piarco International Airport, there have been fatal accidents that were caused by people driving too fast or too fast for the road.

Security risks rise on a number of routes, especially at night. See Safety

It’s against the law to use a cell phone while you’re driving, except when it’s in “hands-free” or Bluetooth mode.

Police do breath tests at random. They can also stop traffic if they think someone is driving while drunk.

If you’re going to drive:

Check to see if you have enough insurance.
Carry insurance papers for your car.
Check out the traffic rules and practises in your area before you drive.
don’t drive at night, unless you’re on a major highway.

At night and in the early morning, don’t drive:

outside of big cities, you can get to and from the Piarco International Airport.


Check to see if your travel insurance policy covers you when you ride a motorbike, quad bike, or other type of vehicle.

Always use a helmet.


Private taxis are the safest way to get around. They can be found at airports and hotels.

Private taxis don’t have metres or signs. You can tell them apart by their car registration plates that start with “H.”

Some cars have registration plates that say “P” (private). In a way, these cars are illegal taxis.

Use the taxi service at the airport.

In private cars and maxi taxis, people have been raped, assaulted, robbed, and stolen, among other things. See Safety

People use public transportation to get to and from work and

Avoid public transportation because of safety fears. See Safety

People who travel by sea do so because they want to

The cruise ships stop in Trinidad and Tobago.

There is a ferry service between Trinidad and Tobago. Cancellations can happen with very little or no notice, and they can happen at the last minute. The Port Authority can tell you how your trip is going.

A water taxi service runs between Port of Spain and San Fernando, and you can take it.

Flights to Trinidad and Tobago

DFAT doesn’t give information about the safety of commercial airlines or flight paths.

It’s a good idea to check Trinidad and Tobago’s air safety with the Aviation Safety Network.