Novak Djokovic, the world number.1 player, tennis player, will compete in the Australian Open in January, the Grand Slam tournament’s administrators said on Wednesday. The news came after weeks of debate over Djokovic’s ability to go to Australia due to vaccination restrictions.
Djokovic was named to the Australian Open’s main field for the July competition.
“Defending champion DjoA statement said. “Defending be the favourite in a draw that has 49 of the world’s top 50 players, andwll be playing for an unbelievable 10th Austaian Open trophy — and a men’s recorthatt major singles championship,” according to a release.
The aannouncement was ame a dayer the ATP Cup competition, which will be hosted in Sydney as a warm-up for the Australian Open, announced andjokovic will be there.
Novak Djokovic, could not be reached for comment right away.
Because of the Omicron variety, Australia has imposed a temporary two-week restriction on overseas immigration. Prior to that, the government declared that those visa holders who were vaccinated would be permitted to enter the country freely. Officials set a weekly limit on the number of unvaccinated visitors allowed into the nation, and they were compelled to quarantine for two weeks aftbe quarantined ived.
According to Australian officials, all players competing in competitions in the country must be vaccinated.
Novak Djokovic,, the current champion and nine-time winner of the Australian Open, warned a Serbian news site in October that he would not go because he would not divulge his vaccination status.
Srdjan Djokovic, Mr. Djokovic’s father, said last week that his son was unlikely to play in the event “under these blackmails and circumstances.”
Novak Djokovic’s remark in October sparked a flurry of contradicting statements concerning admission rules for overseas visitors from Australian government officials and event organisers.
Tennis Australia, which hosts the Australian Open, is said to be seeking medical exemptions for unvaccinated players, according to local media. Those allegations have been refuted by the organisation.
“Medical exemptions are just that — it’s not a loophole for wealthy tennis players,” James Merlino, the deputy premier of Victoria state, of which Melbourne is the capital, remarked in reaction to the rumours.